Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sailing lessons in St. Thomas...


Every time I start planning a trip I am racked with indecision… my list of “must see” places increases on an almost daily basis.  Do I go somewhere just for fun (Morocco, Chile or the Canadian maritime provinces)?  Go see friends and family (Key West, LA or Seattle)?  Or take a look at a potential retirement location (return to Panama, Costa Rica, Columbia or maybe Ecuador)?  Or do I take a week to go through the basic sailing courses that will allow me to charter a boat while traveling?  My problem is that I want to do it all.

If I go to Costa Rica or Panama I can get some dental work done at the same time and save money.  I could do a stay-cation by doing the sailing training in St. Petersburg or Sarasota.  And if I go to Key West I will just drink a lot of beer and maybe get in some diving.

So… sailing or retirement research?  After going out on a friends little daysailer two weeks ago, the decision became easy.  I’ve been putting off sailing lessons because I hadn’t done the research and so I just didn’t know where to put it in the list of priorities.  Well, I got so excited after a day on the water that I knuckled down and got the research done.

There are literally dozens of sailing schools in the Tampa/St. Petersburg/Sarasota area.  Lessons range from single classes taught at the various schools and the several yacht clubs, to weeklong get-the-basics-done courses.  In the course of my research I decided I want to get the three basic American Sailing Association (ASA) classes done all in one shot, so I can take single more advanced courses as I have the time and money.

As I dug a bit more, I discovered that I could take the same course somewhere in the Caribbean for only a few hundred dollars more than staying at home and get a great vacation out of the deal.  Until all of the frequent flyer miles I picked up with new credit cards post to the various mileage accounts, I really have to use either Delta or American.  So after comparing the locations of schools that offered what I wanted, had a reasonable cost and matched where I could fly for free using miles, I pared my list down to eight American Sailing Association accredited schools.

At a minimum I wanted to take the Basic Keelboat Sailing (101), Basic Coastal Cruising (103) and Bareboat Chartering (104).  Since I am very interested in someday having a catamaran (I think they tend to have more living space) I also want to take the Cruising Catamaran (114) course.  Many schools offer the first three as a combo because they only have monohulls, but three schools (Barefoot Offshore Sailing School, Belize Sailing, Blue Water Sailing School) offered all four classes. All three looked good, but I really wanted to attend Barefoot because it is located in St. Vincent and you spend the week sailing the Grenadines, a place that would be new for me.  Going to Belize was my third choice, in part because I have been there a couple of times in the last two years and would like to go somewhere new.  I figure that once I reach my destination I would spend a few extra days playing tourist and relaxing and while I could hop over to San Pedro to see my buddy Michael, I reallllly want to go somewhere new.

As it turns out, both Belize Sailing and Barefoot Offshore Sailing School were booked up and Blue Water Sailing School (BWSS) had availability, but not for the 101 through 114 course.  I suspect that if I had acted a few weeks earlier I would have had my pick.  So I will spend November 3 through 9 with BWSS taking the 101 through 104 courses in the gorgeous blue Caribbean waters around St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands.  I wish I had been able to pick up the Cruising Catamaran class, but that will have to be done later either locally or on another trip.

I am really excited about this trip and I haven’t been to the Virgin Islands since 1986 (?) so it will be almost like going for the first time.  I am actually departing on Friday, November 2 before the cock’s first crowing and will arrive at Cyril E. King airport in Charlotte Amalie around 1:30 pm.  BWSS is located on the St. Thomas East End in the Red Hook area.  The folks at BWSS made a few suggestions for lodging and I chose what appears to be a charming B&B within walking distance of the American Yacht Harbor on Benner Bay where the BWSS boats are berthed.

Two Sandals by the Sea Inn only has a handful of rooms and I was able to get a single night reservation for November 2.  We board and start our voyage and classes approximately 3:00 pm.  Between now and then I have several books to read and pre-exams to take; this is going to be pretty intense.  There will be a maximum of six students aboard so our instruction is fairly individual and I anticipate studying together in the evening.  Our rates include the boat, instructor, provisions, fuel, ice, customs and immigration fees, books, certification fees and sales tax.  I noticed some other schools charge extra for books, taxes and a whole variety of things including the certification!  Our trip covers all costs except alcohol.  I may need to try out the local rums (Cruzan makes a black strap rum that is supposed to be quite good).

After six days at sea, we return to Red Hook and the balance of my vacation.  More on those details in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment