Friday, November 30, 2012

Preparing for sailing...

Before I continue describing my trip, I have some advice for those considering the same or a similar sailing course.

First, study the books!!!!!

If you have not sailed before, there is a ton of information to learn before you can master the skills you will need to pass your exams.  Remember, you will be learning a whole new vocabulary and when the skipper says to trim the jib, you need to know what that means right now.

Second, contact the company you are going out with and learn a bit about the layout of the boat you will be on.  The Prana has a dodger and bimini so we actually spent little time in the direct sun.  I could have left a lot of the sunscreen at home.  You will want to be prepared, but I ended up over-packing.

I also did not need the foul weather pants and floppy hat I bought.  I'm sure I will use them eventually, but not on this trip. The couple of times I was on deck during rain I definitely didn't need foul weather gear.  Check out the weather at your destination during the weeks before you go.  Having an idea of what to expect in that regard can be a big help.

Bring a flash light and extra batteries.  Our boat had lights throughout the cabin, but they were not bright enough to read by.  I had a flashlight to use and definitely needed it for studying the night before each test.

Except for one night when we went ashore for dinner, I lived in lightweight shorts and a t-shirt.  The sand flies can be quite bad on shore at night in the Virgin Islands (and elsewhere in the Caribbean, I suspect).  Insect repellant, long pants and a long-sleeve shirt are your best defense.  I have a neem oil-based repelleant I got in Panama and found it to be very effective for both flies and mosquitoes.  I'm not sure if the standard Off bug spray will deter the sand flies or not.

I wish I had reached out to my instructor before going down there to see if there was anything I could have brought with me for him.  A lot of items are either unavailable in the islands or are outrageously expensive.  It would have been a nice gesture to offer to run to the store for Bill and I'm sure he would have appreciated it.

We cooked on board most nights and had to come up with a menu.  If there is a simple, quick menu item you can make in a galley with limited space and utensils, bring the spices or other special ingredients with you.  A great meal at the end of the day really adds a lot to the experience.

Check out the cell phone coverage where you will be sailing.  Sometimes I could get a signal and sometimes I couldn't.  The AT&T network is used in the USVI, so if you have Verizon or T-Mobile you will be paying roaming charges.  Being able to send a text message or get an email from home is nice, but I would not depend on that ability.  In addition to my smart phone, I brought my iPad.  Mine doesn't have a data plan so I couldn't connect to the internet except when I was in the hotel on land, but I was able to take notes during my trip and that was handy.

Feel free to add a comment if you have questions or there is something special you want me to address and I will do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment