Thursday, January 20, 2011

The itinerary is finally done...

Everything is finally set.  I have a car reservation and all of the hotel reservations have been made.  This is costing more than I anticipated, mainly because the car is so expensive.  I researched the available cars to make sure I get something economical since gas prices are in the $5.00 per gallon neighborhood and I got a small SUV because Belize roads are notoriously bad.  Getting the cheapest car possible still set me back over $400.00 for just five days of use (bloody hell!).  If I decide to return at some point in the future, I will fly into Cancun and rent a car there; it means wasting time on the road but it will be cheaper for both the car and the flight.

Anyway, I will take a 7-passenger puddle jumper from Belize City to San Pedro and start off my trip on Ambergris Caye as planned and then catch the ferry back to Belize City three days later.  The car rental staff will pick me up from the ferry terminal and take me to the airport to grab the car.  From there it is about a five-hour drive south to Punta Gorda where I will be staying at Blue Belize Guest House, which is just off Front Street near downtown PG.  It's funny, but half the seaside towns in Belize have a Front Street just like in Key West.

From PG I'll make my way north to Placencia and the Seaspray Hotel.  The following night I am booked at the Pelican Beach Resort in Dangriga and I will finish the trip north of Belize City in Corozal Town at the Serenity Sands B&B.  I have a feeling I will come home exhausted, but the whole point of the trip is to figure out if there is an area of Belize that I can see myself retiring to.  If the answer is yes, I will return for a closer look at the areas I find attractive and comfortable.  If the answer is no, then I will look elsewhere (yet another opportunity for adventure).

Now that I am alone, I find myself being much more introspective.  I have the time to just think and, unfortunately, I have only myself to worry about.  Regardless of what I discover about Belize on this trip, I am certain to have an interesting time and discover new things about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment