Sunday, July 17, 2011

The rainy season hits Ambergris Caye...

Those of you who follow my blog on a regular basis (that's right, I'm talking about both of you) may recall that when I was on Ambergris Caye in Belize I noted the poor state of the "roads" north of San Pedro.  Within a very short distance of the bridge you end up on a sand packed trail that is full of ruts and pot holes.

Now remember that I was there during the dry season, in February.  Well we are now into the rainy season that continues for another four months and I am seeing reports that the north road is more akin to a path of mud and very difficult for the main form of transportation, golf carts, to negotiate.  Wait until the height of the rainy season hits in September and October.

In fact, one local reports that if you don't have a four-wheel drive all terrain vehicle, you may not be able to venture out from your house!  That means you can't go into town for dinner, shopping or entertainment. 

This situation might not be so bad if you had a car or truck, but only a handful of non-taxi cars are allowed on the island and 99% of the trucks are strictly commercial vehicles.  While I did not use one while there and I did not price them out, my understanding is that water taxis are somewhat unreliable and expensive, so the only alternatives are to use regular taxis or stay home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment