Thursday, August 4, 2011

Morocco... maybe not

OK…  I got a quote from a Morocco tour guide that came highly recommended on TripAdvisor.  For a comprehensive 10-day tour including lodging, a guide all to myself, transportation, most meals and an overnight trek into the Sahara desert via camel the cost comes to (drum roll) ​2180 or $3100.  That is more than I want to pay.  Actually, that probably isn't bad for what you get but it is more than I can afford.

I will check out a few more guides and see what I can find.  It may not make any difference since the hold I have on a flight to Rabat expires tonight.  I checked and there are no miles flights available on Delta or American today.  I searched for itineraries through Rabat, Marrakech and Casablanca… nothing.  If it doesn't happen I am OK with that.  I have done some decent research and at least know that it is a possibility for the future and could go next year or the year after.

If Morocco doesn't pan out I will go back to Plan A and go to Panama.  I have flights on hold on American for both Panama City and Belize City and I place new flights on hold every few days.  So the absolute worst that could happen is that I go to Panama or Belize at a cost of 30,000 frequent flier miles.  There are flights from time to time available via Delta for 45,000 miles, which I would prefer since I am less likely to use my Delta miles.

By now you must think that I am a total yo-yo…  I'm going to Panama; no, definitely Mexico; no, wait it's off to Morocco to ride camels; no, I really should go to Panama.  Yes, I am being more than a bit fickle.  My last big trip (to Belize) was easier because I was so focused on that possibility as a retirement destination.  Now I am torn between just going on an amazing trip and buckling down to some serious research.  I realize what I should do, but can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger.  Maybe I am still upset about the house situation and I am looking for some escapism.  Whatever it is, the decision will likely be made for me in short order if a miles ticket is no longer possible to Morocco.

Another reason I am looking forward to my Key West trip is that Craig and Joyce have suggested we all go to the Amazon next year.  Between the prospects of exploring the upper Amazon by river boat and talking about Panama, it is sure to be a fun trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment