Monday, August 1, 2011

Morocco, instead...

I know what I said earlier about my finances and doing the trip on the cheap, but I found a deal flying on Delta miles to Morocco -- 60,000 miles round-trip.  I started looking at renting a car but it might be just as cheap to hire a guide that will include ground transportation everywhere I want to go.  I can fly into Casablanca or Rabat.  Either would be a good starting point, but Casablanca has a better schedule.  I would fly through JFK and have a short layover in Paris.

Traveling on my own means I can stay in simple, low-budget lodging and make the most of every dollar.  When traveling with Andrea we always had to stay at upper mid-level hotels because she figured it would guarantee cleanliness and a higher quality experience.  I don't care that much.  I don't want to stay in filth, but I don't demand the same level of luxury she did.  Now it was different when she had her travel agency because we wrote off everything.  Staying in a 5-star hotel in Bangkok didn't cost as much since we deducted it against her income.

Ever since we took the ferry over from Algeciras, Spain to Tangier for a day trip several years ago, I have always wanted to go back.  Exploring the souks and Kasbahs of Fez and Marrakech, driving through the Atlas mountains and riding a camel into the western Sahara have always been on my travel to do list.   This could be an opportunity to spend time in a safe Muslim country and soak up the culture; who knows what things might be like in a few years.  While we all hope Muslim extremists are overwhelmed by moderates, that hope seems to be fading fast. 

So, I have flights on hold and will spend a day or so researching the on-the-ground costs of such a trip.  

No comments:

Post a Comment